Thursday 10 March 2011

Educational Videos

As an Adult Basic Education Instructor I am always looking for interesting videos to show my students.  I find that my students are very connected technologically and are much more motivated to learn through technology.  My classroom is not equipped with a Smarboard but I do have a data projector.  The data projector allows me to easily show videos that all the students can see on the screen instead of all trying to gather around one computer.

In the past I have found and used many videos off a site called teacher tube.  http://www1.teachertube.com/
It is a useful site which is well organized and easy to navigate around.  The other thing I like about teachertube is that the videos are free to use (at least I have never come across one that wasn't).

Today, in quest of building a larger Web2.0 toolbox, I researched a site called MindBites.http://www.mindbites.com/
It had a lot of interesting videos and they were organized in a way that I found was very easy to navigate through.  The one major downside is that there is a cost to use most of the videos.  When you click on the preview you get the video and after watching about the first 40seconds a screen pops up to tell you that watching the whole thing will cost $1.98.  This payment can easily be arranged through Paypal.  All very wonderful.  However, I am a teacher (we are known to be cheap!) and I feel that the cost of watching the MindBite videos would very quickly add up.   There was a section in each category that was FREE videos.  I was able to find some interesting things in there but obviously, the selection reduces greatly in the FREE section.

Both of these sites are worth looking at if you are looking for educational videos to learn anything from crafts and cooking, to algebra and biology... even videos on knife throwing!

1 comment:

  1. I was nice to see a free section in mind bites. I hope you can find usefull videos there.

    ReplyDelete